Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Angel Garden Remembrance Ceremony

On May 16th my lovely friend Christina and the bereavement team at Saint Alphonsus organized a beautiful ceremony for families whose children were gone too soon. I was truly honored to be asked to speak at this heartfelt and healing ceremony. At first I wasn't sure I could share but something inside me said that this is something I need to do... I can do hard things in Kellen's memory. What I shared was very short and I had to read most of it because I wasn't sure I could make it through without crying.
These are the words I shared as well as some of the photos of the butterfly release:


"We are here today to remember and honor the precious lives of our dear children. Even though they are no longer with us we remember them lovingly every day. We cling to the memories we have. They were here and they had a purpose.
Through the great pain of losing them we have also experienced great joy. I have often told my husband I would do it all over again even for the same result and I’m sure you feel the same.
That little bit of time we shared meant the world to me. I never knew I could love that much. That love has given me greater understanding of God’s love for us and for that I am grateful.
Even though my son is no longer with me in person I carry his memory and his legacy in my heart. Our children’s lives are intertwined with ours; even though they are gone they are still a part of us and we are a part of them.
I have learned from my son that love is truly a gift that lasts beyond a lifetime.
Thank You for standing with me today in remembrance of all the precious lives that were gone too soon.
I would also like to give a special thanks to the doctors and staff at Saint Alphonsus for their amazing care and for arranging this beautiful ceremony."





(My niece, Payton)

It was a truly beautiful ceremony and I especially want to thank the thoughtful bereavement team as well as the Cloverdale cemetery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment